Promoting Democracy in Southwest Colorado
The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan political organization encouraging informed and active participation in government. It provides a meaningful dialog on both local and global issues of increasing importance in our daily lives.
The League influences public policy through education and advocacy. League membership is not for women only - we welcome everyone.
*6/25/15 LWVUS: Tell Congress it's time to restore the Voting Rights Act!
...Fifty years ago, President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Voting Rights Act (VRA) into law. The VRA was a cornerstone achievement of the civil rights movement and ensured that every American citizen, regardless of race, ethnicity or language, had equal access to the right to vote. But two years ago today, the U.S. Supreme Court overturned a key part of the VRA leading to a full frontal attack on the voting rights of American citizens.
Despite public outcry since the Supreme Court's decision, Congress has ignored widespread voter discrimination and the will of the American people. Tell Congress it's time to restore the Voting Rights Act!
What's New Learn More
- What's New since June 30....
Calendar Learn More
Upcoming meetings and events in La Plata County
LWV Newsletters Learn More
- LWV Newsletters for calendar year 2015
About Us - LWVLPC Learn More
LWVLPC mission, structure, statements, policies and current activities
Voter Services-Elections Learn More
- Information concerning La Plata County voter information and services in 2015
Great Decisions - Global Outreach Learn More
- Discussions to engage citizens in learning about the world, sponsored by the Foreign Policy Association and the Durango Public Library. Please plan to join us in January 2015.
Action and Advocacy Learn More
- LWV takes actions and advocates their positions on key issues based upon grass roots consensus at local, state and national levels.
Contact Us Learn More
- How to reach us by telephone/email/Facebook/Twitter
Useful Links Learn More
- Contacts for our local, state and national elected officials
Join the La Plata League Learn More
- *It is never too late to become a member of the League of Women Voters of La Plata County (LWVLPC)
Click Renewal Form - PDF version or click Renewal Form - WORD version
Annual dues are $55 for regular members and $35 for each additional household member or student member. If you can add an additional amount as a donation to LWVLPC, that would help significantly to continue our work. Only a very small amount local dues remains with the local league, as you can see from the information on the application. Please note that donations to the general fund are not tax-deductible; donations to the Education fund are deductible on your taxes. Either is greatly appreciated and we promise will be used wisely. Instructions are on the form and the web site.
*If you would like to view an informative brochure for the League of Women Voters of La Plata County, please click LWVLPC Member Brochure
- We need your support, so please:
1. complete one renewal form per household
2. mail the form & renewal check, payable to LWVLPC, to our treasurer,
Nadine Ancel, 358 West Los Ranchitos Dr., Durango, 81301
If you would like to donate to the League of Women Voters of La Plata County, please click LWVLPC Donation Form All donations are very much appreciated!
- To make your 501 C(3) tax-free donations to LWVLPC even easier, we have added a Paypal on-line capability for your convenience. Just tap the DONATE BUTTON below and complete a fully secure transaction using a major credit card or your Paypal account number.